I got an audio cassette from the other side. It was about how I had killed the ROI of my Agile Training.
There were many reasons…
1. I did not clarify up front to my prospects how important their ROI is to me
2. After closing the deal, I did not educate my clients on the definition of ROI
3. I did not educate them in the research backed approach from the ROI Institute that helps organizations manage the ROI of Learning
4. I did not ask them to quantify their target ROI
5. I did not co-create quantified targets for the 14 key lead indicators of learning ROI
- Learners complete pre-work
- Learners stay engaged
- Learners complete learning
- Learners complete feedback
- Learners find the learning environment helpful
- Learners find the trainer effective
- Learners find the learning relevant
- Learners find that their knowledge increased
- Learners find the learning impactful
- Learners find the learning actionable
- Learners find the learning recommendable
- Learners pass exam to validate their learning
- Learners change their behaviors and habits by applying the learning
- Learners make a visible, measurable business impact by applying the learning
6. I did not help us visualize our targets for lead and lag indicators using an approach similar to the one below
7. I did not ask my client, executives, managers and students – ‘What might get in our way?’ of effectively implementing this approach to achieve our ROI target
8. I did not ask them – ‘How might we overcome these impediments?’
9. I did not get their buy-in to measure every step of the way
10. I did not get their buy-in to review the actuals, compare against targets, learn and course correct every step of the way
11. I did not manage the 14 lead indicators of ROI like an ROI funnel the way a disciplined sales force manages their sales funnel…
12. I did not facilitate regular, frequent ROI reviews to help us inspect and adapt the ROI of learning
OK, so this is only 12 reasons. And I promised 13. So maybe I lied.
Or if you include each of the 14 indicators as a reason, then I under-promised and over-delivered and gave you 26!
How do you manage the ROI of your Agile Training?
If you want to learn more about how we learned from our mistakes and course corrected, check out these resources…